4C's Blog

Blogging our work to the world!

World Book Day 2017

on 02/03/2017

We had a wonderful World Book Day! It got off to an unusual start with a varied cast of characters appearing at the weekly staff meeting……

Then we we met Chris Wormell, an illustrator…….

He told us some of his stories……..

And we created a new creature……..

Afterwards we met Benjamin Scott, a writer, who talked to us about generating ideas for our writing and how to construct stories ……..

…….and we began to write our own stories……

All of this before lunch!

Add your thoughts and experiences as comments.

25 Responses to “World Book Day 2017”

1. Ben Pr says:

World Book Day was on Thursday 2nd March and we all dressed up as different characters from books that we chose. I thought it was a great day and it was fun seeing Mrs Chronias as the Cat in a Hat. My favourite characters were the two Billionaire boys who were Ben M and Alex S because they had very different costumes and they looked fantastic.

We went in to the library to meet someone called Benjamin Scott who is a writer and we made our own individual stories. We got three boxes and they all had a character, a place and a problem. My character was a lost alien in a jam factory wrongly told off. I had so much fun writing a story about this.

An illustrator came too and he was called Chris Wormell. He read us two of the stories that he had written and illustrated. One of them was called The Sea Monster and I enjoyed it. The other story was called Two Frogs. I can’t wait until World Book Day 2018!

2. lochinver4jch says:

What’s happened to your punctuation, Matthew????

3. Matthew says:

03/03/2017 AT 5:07 PM
    I loved the illustrator and author, I was so suprized at how quick he was at drawing and how meaningful but yet so simple they were !

The second author had a very good way of writing .He has three things that he uses in a book ,a person (character) ,a place and a problem and once you have them it is really easy to make your story . I was given three slips of paper , one was a cat , the other was “under the water ” and the other was “he’d lost his socks ” . Then we had one minute to think about putting the story all together , and then we had to write non stop for 5 minutes it was so hard my hand was aching .

I had a great day and loved what the teachers were wearing especially Mrs Cortes.I dressed up as Fantastic Mr Fox .
    (Please discard the previous post I forgot to include punctuation )

4. Marios.c says:

World book day was so fun because we were all dressed up in really funny outfits. Through the day we had two people coming in a illustrator and an author I especially liked the illustrator because I learned a lot about what illustrators do and how they do such as using his face to make not a portrait but a picture that has a type of portrait in.

The writer got me really interested because he used three different aspects to make a whole story and those three things were, a person, a place and a problem and what I got was a footballer that never scored on a crumbling cliff and a school which everyone is a alien and those three things actually made a really cool story and he also thought us that never stop writing!

• lochinver4jch says:

So glad to hear you enjoyed the day. Can you improve on your punctuation and grammar?

5. James R says:

World Book Day
    On the 22nd March 2017, it was world book day!
    I dressed up as Tom Gates because I think he is a fun and cool character to dress up as. Tom Gates has a unique drawing style. I got a plain white t-shirt and in his drawing style I drew on the t-shirt. I also coloured the drawings in different colours. I was inspired to do my t-shirt by the Tom Gates books by Liz Pichon. I drew pictures and doodles on my t-shirt.
    A writer called Benjamin Scott came in and it was very interesting listening to him about writing. He even showed us his writers toolbox, at one point we were given a piece of paper with a person, a place and a problem and we had just had 5 minutes to write a story about those 3 aspects. You could change the person, place or problem if you wanted. Benjamin Scott said that in the 5 minutes you could not take your pencil off the paper.
    An illustrator called Chris Wormell came in and read us a story called Two Frogs and we deigned our own mythical creature. I also picked up some tips!
    By James R

6. Leo says:

Last Thursday we celebrated world book day. We had a visit from Chris Wormell, an illustrator and Benjamin Scott, an author. First we had a workshop with Chris Wormell and the pictures he drew were the best. Creating our own mythical creature was really cool. His books were really funny, and he has inspired me to add a twist into most of my writing. Then after break we met Benjamin Scott. He showed us how to construct a story using a character, a place and a problem. He gave us some boxes which contained a slip of paper in them. The paper said our character, place and problem. Mine was a ballet dancer, a foreign marketplace and that the ballet dancer was really, really thirsty. He showed us his writer’s tool box which helped him generate ideas for his stories.
    That day there were three books going round the school which were blank? It was our job to create a story for the blank books. It was great fun. I really enjoyed seeing all my friends dressed in their costumes. My favourite was William P’s costume. He was dressed as Gerald Durrell. I thought his costume was really original and looked great. I had a fantastic day and I look forward to the next world book day.

7. Gabriel says:

This week was World Book Day! I dressed as Horrid Henry because I use to read all the Horrid Henry books, now I’m older I read books like Harry Potter, Famous Five and Secret Seven. Horrid Henry wears a blue and yellow striped shirt, jeans and a grey or black coat. World Book Day was extremely fun and I can’t wait for the next World book day.

On Thursday we were visited by Chris Wormell an illustrator and an author. We listened to his books and to what he had to say about his life and how to write an amazing book like him. Then before lunch we listened to Benjamin Scott who is a ghost writer which means he will write a book for an author, however it will have the persons name on the book that came up with the idea for the book. He passed round 3 pots each that had a slip of paper with a problem, a place and a person on. With those three things we had to write a story. It was very challenging. He was also telling us about his writing tool kit. He recommended things to do when you can’t think, one of his tips was to look outside the window until you get an idea because we live in a world of ideas. I’m not keen on dressing up and thought World Book Day would be boring but actually it was so much fun, we had Madhatter, Billy the Kid and Horrid Henry all in one class room.

8. Henry says:

On World Book Day I dressed up as Mad Hatter . It was amazing to see all the interesting costumes . And we were so lucky to see an illustrator and author . First of all we saw the illustrator , he talked about when he was a baby and how he picked up a red crayon and started drawing on the wall . After that he showed us 2 of his stories and the one I was most interested in was the story called The Two Frogs . Afterwards we picked a picture of animals mixed together and it was amazing .After that we went to see the author and he showed us awesome ideas about techniques and one of my favourites was silly sunglasses . Immediately after we had to pick a note out of a box and write about it . That was the end of World Book Day .

9. Harry says:

On world book day we could dress up as any character we wanted such as harry potter,ninja,willy wonka,mad hatter,astronauts and so much more!
    I think it changed the environment because we had a sense of feeling that we were at home.
    I dressed up as harry potter because it was quite simple to make,all you needed was some normal cloth,a stick and lipstick to paint a scar.
    it was also fun to see the teachers dress up Mrs Chronias was cat in the hat,Mrs Martian was the villain in 101 dalmations!
    I liked it when Chris Wormell came and read us two stories: one called two little frogs and one called the sea monster and they were both reflections of his life!
    Then he asked us to say random animals so he could make up a fantasy animal.
    Our fantasy animal had a wolf head a giraffe neck a crocodile body and a cheetah tail and dragon wings!
    Then we had break where I went to listen to Mr Cavanaugh story and he was dressed up as Mr Cavanaugh!?
    it was about a boy on a plane who was learning to fly a plane but the instructor had a heart attack and that is where we reached.
    Next we met Benjamin Scott who told us a bit about his life story and then he passed round 3 little boxes which each held a character a place and a problem . I got a clumsy jeweller in a movie set and a hurt animal we had 5 minutes to make it and I liked mine!

• lochinver4jch says:

A good account, Harry, but lots of capital letters are missing. Can you see where?

10. Alex S says:

On Thursday 2nd March 2017 we took part in World Book Day. It was the 20th anniversary of the event. All the boys and teachers dressed up as their favourite book characters. I dressed up as the David Walliams character Billionaire Boy. I wore a black t-shirt with a gold $ sign and a hat made of Monopoly money.

We started the day off with a World Book Day assembly. Mr Walker was dressed up as Just William and it was very funny. After the morning assembly we went to see Chris Wormell the illustrator. I was surprised when he told us that when he was a baby he had picked up a red crayon and drew all over the walls before he could walk, talk or crawl. When his mum saw the drawing on the walls she washed it all off. He then drew us a fantastic fantasy picture. We then met Benjamin Scott the writer who gave us three boxes containing a person, a place and a problem. With those we had to write a story, or as much of a story as we could, in 5 minutes. It was lots of fun.

World Book Day 2017 was really fun.

11. James S says:

World book day is when you dress up and go to school as a favourite character from a book. It encourages children to read, talk about their favourite book and celebrate the world of reading and literacy. World book day is important to children and adults and inspires kids to read more and challenge themselves (like a readathon where on the front cover, there is a girl under her Duvet reading – and she said: I never knew how to read but thanks to readathon I can’t stop reading).

World book day reminds me of when I read The Twits in one night. When I am reading a book, I feel in a completely different world, I feel as I am there, living it myself. We are very lucky to have a wide selection of books and other things to read, but many other children around the world do not have such a choice. Many can’t read, so World Book Day is a fantastic way of spreading the word, and getting everyone to read!

12. Sebastian says:

On Thursday the 2nd of March 2017 was world book day. This was world book day’s 20th anniversary. The whole school got to dress up as a book character, I dressed up as a ninja from teenage mutant ninja turtles.

The day started off with an assembly with the whole school. In the assembly Miss Giles announced the winners of the get caught reading challenge. In the assembly most of the teachers dressed up and Mr Walker got dressed as just William. After that we had another assembly this time it was with Chris Wormell who was an author/illustrater.He talked to us about his background and how got interested to be an author.At the end we made a mythical creature that had the head of a wolf, a neck of a giraffe, a crocodile body, a pigs front legs, a horses back legs and a cheetas tail. Chris Wormell also read us two of his books. After that had finished we met another author called Benjamin Scott who talked to us about how a story is formed. He said a story is formed of three things a person, a place and a problem. Then he gave us three boxes each one was one of the different P’s. Then we all got a sheet of paper were we had to write a mini story in five minutes.Then I said to myself I can’t wait until World book day 2018.

13. Ben M says:

World Book Day was on the 2nd March 2017. It was the twentieth anniversary of World Book Day. Everyone , including the teachers, dressed up as a character from a book. The character that I dressed up as , was Billionaire Boy, from a book by David Walliams.

The day began with a special World Book Day assembly. During the assembly the results for the ‘Get caught reading challenge’ were announced. Mr.Walker dressed up as Just William,which was hilarious. After assembly we met an illustrator called Chris Wormell. He told us a story about when he was a baby and he found a red crayon under his sofa and drew all over the walls with it. His mother came and saw what had happened to the walls but his mother didn’t take away the crayon,instead she gave him a piece of paper. He drew on the paper instead of the walls!

Then we went to the library to see the writer Benjamin Scott.He gave us three individual pots which included a person,a place and a problem. We then wrote for five minutes about anything without taking our pencil off the paper.

It was great day and we all had fun and learnt a lot.

14. Aidan says:

World book day was so much fun. My favourite thing was that we didn’t have to wear our school uniform for a whole day. One of the first things we did was to see a person called Chris Wormell. He showed us two of his books, and then he made a fantastic fantasy animal. It had a wolf’s head with gills, a giraffe’s neck, a crocodile’s body, its front legs where pigs legs, its back legs where horses, its tail was a cheetah’s tail and its wings were dragons wings.

After break we went to the library and met Benjamin Scott who’s a ghost writer. He writes Star Fighters. It says Max Chase writes them when it’s actually Benjamin Scott and other ghost writers. At first he was telling us what to do if you don’t have any ideas. These are the things you can do, you can go for a short stroll or you can carry a note book with you so when you don’t have an idea you can just look in your notes and see what there is, there may be a octopus which is not allowed tacos you never know.

Then he showed us his writers tool box inside were massive glasses that helps him think, he had story cubes, a weird bone and three boxes which contained a character, places and a problem. We were all given a character,a place and a problem. Then we had to make them make sense, for example my one was the worlds cleverest dog on a boat in stormy weather stuck inside. If we found it easier we could change one of them. Then with the base of the story we began to write. We had five minutes to write. We had to keep on writing until it was time to stop. At lunch we could buy some of Benjamin Scotts books.

15. Jonny Scriven says:

World Book Day

First I arrived at school and saw everyones fantastic costumes, then we made our way into assembly and all the teachers costumes were so funny. We had two workshops the first one was Chris Wormell / illustrator he was my favourite he showed us his first book which was based on him and his wife it was called The Two Frogs. Then he told us to make a fantasy animal so we called out different body parts for different animals . After that he read us another book called The Sea Monster which was my favourite .

Our second workshop was by Benjamin Scott / Writer he showed us his writers tool box. He had many different things inside it, he had many note books were if he had an idea he would write it down. He said he does something called ghost writing it is when he writes the books but someone else’s name goes on the book . We did an activity were he gave us 3 boxes to make a story, one of them is a place , character and a problem so we wrote a story out of the things we got from the boxes. Then I had money to buy one of his books and he signed it.

16. Thomas Feeney says:

This was my first world book day at Lochinver and I was very excited. I dressed up as Captain Underpants and I thought it was very strange to go to school dressed up in my underpants and my mum’s flamenco apron as a cape. I enjoyed the first workshop most of all. He was an illustrator called Chris Wormell and he helped us to create an animal. He asked us to pick an animal and he chose people to contribute their ideas. I asked him to put on a pair of gills.

The next workshop was run by an author and he showed us some ideas about how we could go about telling a story. His name was Benjamin Scott. He used story cubes and a box of papers with ideas which he selected like a lucky dip. He told us we needed three aspects to a story, a person, a place and a problem. He gave us a box and told us to pick three different cards so that we could create a story. I got ‘locked in’, ‘trapped in a supermarket’ and a ‘talking car’. My story involved a talking car trapped in a supermarket!

17. Mario says:

World book day was great! It was fun seeing everyone dressed up as their favourite character, even the teachers were dressed up. I dressed up as Where’s Wally.
    We met an illustrator called Chris Wormell. He read some of his books to us and drew an animal that was made up by mixing lots of animals together.
    After break we went to the library to meet Benjamin Scott. He is an author. He talked to us about a few different ways to help us to write a story. He put us into groups of five for a task. I was with Marcus, Marios, Henry and Jonny. We were given three boxes. The first one was to do with a person, the second box was to do with a place and the third box was to do with a problem. He asked us to make up a story with these three things in our head. We were given five minutes to write our story. He told us to keep going until the five minute were up.
    I really enjoyed world book day, it was so much fun.

18. Willam says:

On Thursday it was world book day and I dressed up as Gerald Durrel from my family and other animals. In the morning a illustrator came to school, who drew us a picture and read us two of his books which were called the sea monster and two frogs.

In the afternoon a writer also came to school and he gave little slips of paper which had ideas on them to help us write our own story’s. I wrote a story call a lying thief which was about aliens coming to earth to find a thief and a detective to help them.

World book day is always such good fun as you get to dress up and also lean how to write and put together a story.

19. Ben Pa says:

At world book day we all dressed up as different book characters and some of them were very colourful, especially the Willy Wonka worn by Henry, Koby, Angelo and other boys in the school. As a big surprise, Benjamin Scott who writes books for children came to our school and taught us how to write stories. And to help us he had a special writer’s kit and three little boxes full of ideas.

We learned that when he has an idea in his head he always writes in down in case he forgets.

Chris Wormell also came to show us how to draw. He told us about some of the books with his illustrations. Afterwards he asked us for some ideas for drawing an animal. The animal he drew had a tiger head, a giraffe neck and a crocodile body and the front legs were pig legs and the back were horse legs.

20. Nikhil says:

World book day was great there where so many people in different costumes with different things.I loved that we didn’t have to wear school uniform.Mr Walker dressed up as William Brown.All the teachers were in lots of different costumes.We met an author and illustrator called Chris Wormell and also Benjamin Scott who is an author. He sometimes writes something called ” Ghost writing “. It is where someone gives you an idea of a story and hires the witer to write a book on the idea. The book is then printed with the name of the person who gave the idea. I bought a signed copy of Star Fighters.Benjamin Sott ghost wrote Star fighters but it says Max Chase.

21. Marcus says:

Today it was World Book Day! Everyone came dressed up as interesting characters. It was fun not to be wearing our school uniform.
    The first workshop was interesting because Chris Wormell drew a picture of an imaginary animal. The imaginary animal had a Wolf head, a Giraffe neck, a Crocodile body, Pig’s front legs, Horse’s back legs, Dragon’s wings and a Cheaters tail.

The second workshop was equally interesting because we could write our own short story. Benjamin Scott said that he writes something using ghost writing style. It is when the book hires people to write a book of a good idea. The book’s author has an imaginary name because lots of people write the same types of books.

What an exciting day and setting – we have learnt a lot and took away a lot of inspiration.